Found an Injured or Orphaned Animal?


HOW to tell if an animal is orphaned or injured and what to do if they need your help.


It is common to see wild, young animals in the spring and summer months that do not need your help.   


SIGNS that an animal needs your help: 

-A cat or dog brings the wild animal to you or you witness the animal being attacked.

-Evidence of bleeding.

-An apparent or obvious broken wing or limb.

-A featherless or nearly featherless bird on the ground.


-A dead parent nearby.


CONTACT the Center for Wildlife Rescue, Research and Conservation, Inc. at:

(914) 629-8352


find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area by going to: New York State Wildlife Rehabilitator Counsel List at:


National Wildlife Rehabilitator's Association at;

or by

Contacting your local animal shelter or veterinarian for further assistance or the name of a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in your area.




FOR SMALL BIRDS use a pillow case or a soft t-shirt to gently cover the animal.  For waterfowl, water birds, birds of prey and mammals ​please call the Center for further advise.  In the meanwhile, please place a box or garbage can turned upside down over the animal to contain it. 

USE A CARDBOARD BOX that is appropriately sized for the animal you are transporting.  A container that is too large or too small can cause the animal further injury.  Punch holes in the box from the inside out then line the box with a soft cloth or t-shirt.

PLACE the animal in the box and cover the box (please do not transport the animal in an open container - no matter how small it is.  Put the container in a warm, dark, quiet place away from pets, children and noise.  Until you are able to transport the animal please keep the container away from excessive heat, sunlight or air conditioning.

DO NOT give the animal anything to eat or drink until you have contacted the Center and spoken with a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. Fluids and the wrong kind of food can easily harm and even kill an already debilitated animal.

TRANSPORT the animal as soon as possible to the Center or a licensed wildlife rehabilitator near you..  While transporting the animal please leave the radio off and keep noise/talking to a minimum.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW in the United Stated, Canada, Europe and Mexico for anyone who is not a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, educator or falconer to possess native wildlife.